Pages

Monday, June 13, 2011

Latest Obsession: Backpacking

First things first: I have never gone on a "real" backpacking trip. I have hiked some pretty nasty terrain and have ridden a horse many a time over steep hills with plenty of rocks. But no real down-to-earth-live-out-of-my-backpack-and-poop-in-a-hole kind of backpacking. Now this is too bad really. For one, I live in the Pacific Northwest, a sort of mecca for outdoor sports. Secondly, I like being outdoors and I take a lot of inspiration from nature.

Perhaps this obsession is only realized because of the fact that in my youth (a whole 3 years ago) I was not quite as adventurous as I am now. Not for lack of adventure per say. Maybe the "cool" factor was still flowing in my bloodstream and prevented me from doing what I really like to do. Altogether possible. But now as summer begins I itch for an excuse to say goodbye to civilization and venture into the wilderness.

Now as most obsessions of mine, it all starts out so innocent. Someone might mention something, "So-and-so hiked the Pacific Crest Trail". "Whats that?" I ask myself as I do a few Google searches. Than an article pops up and I read it. That is it for a few months. Than I start to think about buying a pack. "Why do you need a pack?", I ask myself. So I make some excuse and do some research on REI and before you know it I am in the library looking up book and magazines. Shortly thereafter you might see me hiking or walking innocently enough about town. "Lalalalala don't mind me. Just out for an innocent stroll."

The next thing you know I am making plans to climb Everest (a poor decision this would be on my part). After awhile, the obsession, never fully realized mind you, dies off and I pick something else up. In fact this blog could likely document my obsessions pretty well come to think of it. But I digress...

This one I will NOT let die. I have promised myself that. Hiking is just one of those things that I need to do. I would be very good for me. Challenging and singular and what could turn into a life long passion. Nothing wrong with that. So for the moment I will be walking around town or on my parents property (somewhat of a challenge in itself). But I would like to finish it all off with a gallivant to Wallowa Lake for a few rewarding hikes. And don't think I have lost sight of my dream of Mt. Adams. I just have to give these things time.

Monday at its best.
CCosner

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...